"Bird cage" piano

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:48:34 -0600

A little known fact: Many of these pianos were actually made from bird
cages. The bird died, you see, and the owner had these packing crates =
lying
around and had just been given a "Wonder Wacker" jig saw for his =
birthday
=20
Actually, they sure are/were pretty (many of them) and there were a few
quality brands and some of them have survived relatively unmoldy ... BUT
tuning and repairing them has all the joy and fun of inserting sandpaper
suppositories sideways (80 grit), which I'd recommend as the less =
stressful
hobby.
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of Alpha88x@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 11:37 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: "Bird cage" piano

Greetings,

          The other day I tuned a piano that has all the damper wires in =
the
front of the action....very gently!  The people wanted to know if the =
piano
could be refurbished, however, the action wood is not all decrepid and =
dark
and dried out! (as one think it would/should be after all those years)=20

           My question is: Was there a company that made replacement =
actions
for these pianos, perhaps in the 1950's, 1960's? The reason I ask is =
that
the action's wooden parts look no older than that....and...are these =
pianos
difficult to rework (new cloth/felts regulation and such)? (I really =
think
this piano is not worth it)

rookie,
Julia Gottchall,=20