"Bird cage" piano

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:47:37 -0600

I have restored several of these.  If they have felt hammers Ronsen makes
copies for you.  All the rest is just piano work using no new action parts.
They end up quite nice, I think.,  I tune these by removing the overdampers
and wearing cloth gloves to damp the strings.  I don't want to tarnish the
new strings.  If I am tuning it, it most likely has been restrung.

Some of these had no plate.  The best most restorable are those with plates
or straps..That would be a plate bolted down with hitch pins in it.  Iron
straps up to the pin block and perhaps other metal.  The ones with all wood
are probably not even playable by now.  They tend to fold up by now from the
stress.

Lynn Bullock

WHATEVER health problem you or your family may have, put the worlds greatest
healer to work for you----YOUR BODY'S OWN IMMUNE SYSTEM.  Your body is
capable of repairing itself from EVERY disease if you give it the right
fuel.  Visit http://bullock.goldenkeys.net/ to learn how to get the right
fuel and you may also investigate a great automated business to be in at the
same time.

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Alpha88x@aol.com [mailto:Alpha88x@aol.com]
  Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 11:37 AM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: "Bird cage" piano

  Greetings,

            The other day I tuned a piano that has all the damper wires in
the front of the action....very gently!  The people wanted to know if the
piano could be refurbished, however, the action wood is not all decrepid and
dark and dried out! (as one think it would/should be after all those years)

             My question is: Was there a company that made replacement
actions for these pianos, perhaps in the 1950's, 1960's? The reason I ask is
that the action's wooden parts look no older than that....and...are these
pianos difficult to rework (new cloth/felts regulation and such)? (I really
think this piano is not worth it)

  rookie,
  Julia Gottchall,
  Reading, PA