Odd Bechstein

William R. Monroe A440WRMPiano@tm.net
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:57:15 -0600

List,

Today, while out looking around, I stopped at a store that had a refurbished
1926 Bechstein (5 1/2' - 6').  I really did not look closely at this
instrument, but am planning on going back and getting a few photos for the
list.  It was something I had never before seen on anything, let alone a
Bechstein.

This piano had those lovely waterfall keytops - tacked to the keysticks.
Two brads on the bottom of the keyfront, one at the tail?!?!?!?  Also had
some brass hardware on the outside of the case, like at the treble end, on
the bottom corner just behind the front leg.  Also had numerous brass wood
screws around the perimeter of the case, top and bottom.  Most "interesting"
were the lines of brass screws that could be seen in the soundboard as you
look down into the piano - seemed to be along the lines that the ribs would
follow.

I have so little experience with Bechsteins, that I'm just "wondering" - is
it possible any of this is original design, or did someone really %*&^*$
this thing up?  I'll try and get some photos soon (I don't have a digital
camera, so it may be a while).  Any thoughts?

William R. Monroe
Madison, WI
Assoc.