straight-strung Broadwood

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 03:14:03 -0500

Hi Tom,

I saw and played a straight-strung Weber (??) ca. 1890 9-footer that =
looked very similar to this this piano.  It was a beautiful instrument, =
in the process of restoration.  It played reasonably well, but perhaps =
not what one would expect from a nine-footer.

It's cool to imagine this instrument having crossed the Atlantic on a =
tall ship!  :-)

Peace,
Sarah

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Tvak@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2004 7:08 PM
  Subject: straight-strung Broadwood

  List

  I was browsing eBay and came across a Broadwood grand piano which the =
owner alleges is from 1890.  However, pictures of the instrument clearly =
show that it is straight-strung.  Were there any pianos being built as =
late as 1890 with that design?  (Serial number on this piano is 1532, =
but ascertaining it's age in Pierce was too confusing.) =20

  Just curious,

  Tom Sivak
  Chicago=20

  P.S.
  BTW, if anyone is interested in this piano go to: =
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3D3700966416