straight-strung Broadwood

Sun, 1 Feb 2004 18:16:00 -0000

Hello List and Tom S
I've just looked at those piccys on eBay of the Broadwood grand. I had =
one called a "Cottage Grand" - Number 857. In it the metal frame was =
similar in that it was "constructed" rather than cast. Also I believe, =
looking as closely as I can from those eBay piccys, the tuning pins are =
not square, but oblong in cross section. You need an oblong "T" hammer =
dedicated to them to tune it. Note though that there are three strings =
per metal note - mine had only two strings. Another thing about the =
tuning p[ins is that they have an engineering thread. The plate being =
bored and then tapped. These tuning pins must not be changed. If they =
get loose through a re-stringing process they must be carefully =
extracted, a tube of fine grit sandpaper inserted into the plank with =
the grit outwards and the pin re-inserted until the string hole is far =
enough above the plate to allow for three full turns in the coil. I =
doubt that top strut is original as Broadwoods didn't open that far - =
only to about 30deg. The pedals will be solid wood (not brass - though =
they may have a brass roundel on top) I like the filligree on the candle =
boards. That's what they are called. I can think of one well known US =
pianist who used candles boards for the original purpose. ;-) Date? I go =
for about 1873. The casework is rosewood veneered.
Regards from Dark Sussex
Michael G (UK)