Soundboard stiffening (was Re: No downbearing)

Mon, 02 Feb 2004 09:26:30 +0100

Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

>     The amount of bearing does regulate the rate at which tonal energy
> leaves the board/system. Use a garden hose for an analogy turned on
> full blast then slowly pinch it to restrict water flow. This I belive
> is a simple definition of mechanical imedance.

I think a better analogy would be that its what you place (and how close
you place it)  in front of the stream of water coming out of the hose
that determines how much water comes out.

That the amount of downbearing can effect the net mechanical imedance
the panel presents does not equate to

"downbearing is the determining factor"

Simply because downbearing is only one of several factors that can
contribute.

>    David S's question which is ,"does bearing do anything other than
> make the board stiffer" I think can be answered by saying I think so
> based on what I said above. Its more reactive. Any thing under stress
> is more reactive.

I think this statement says basically the same thing as I say above, and
what John said in earlier posts. Seems to me we are getting hung up in
sematics again.

Cheers
RicB