Soundboard stiffening (was Re: No downbearing)

Mon, 02 Feb 2004 07:32:27 -0500

RicB-

More than the question of semantics in this present set of conversations is
a carelessness in observing and respecting thread subject titles.  This
time, I participated in the offense.  When this became "Soundboard
stiffening"  I no longer expected to find answers to what is becoming
narrowly referred to as my "coupling" questions.  I said this in a reply to
Dale Erwin, however, I also replied to a post from Ron Nossman under the
"stiffening" title which was actually still dealing with my coupling
obsession.  I should have moved that discussion back to "No downbearing?
REVISITED" . Since I owe Ron a response to his last (next to last) post, I
will try to figure out how to title it clearly, if possible at this point.

Another serious problem, which makes this like a game of "telephone", is
the tendency to distort intended meanings in the process of
paraphrasing.  For example, in Dale Erwin's post which you responded to
below, he presented his paraphrase of his understanding of my many
questions, but he presented it as a quote from me, except 1) I never said
it (as best as I can determine), and 2) as a paraphrase, its generality
doesn't do justice to the range of very specific questions I have been
asking.  In your previous post, you also complained of being
misquoted.  But I feel you commit a similar error in that same post in your
representation of my position.

(RicB Mon, 02 Feb 2004 09:18:10 +0100)
>So Davids question as to whether he could walk into a store.. measure
>negative bearing at a spot and conclude without further ado that there is
>a <<problem>> must be answered with a no.

This is a straw man, one which you set up only to be able to knock it
down.  This does not do justice to the questions I have tried to raised.

>In the first place... its quite concievable that no << problem >> can be
>associated with any particular instance of localized negative downbearing.

Or maybe your not hearing it, or maybe it hasn't manifest itself as an
aural problem, yet.

>  Then, in the second place.. you immediatly open a monsterous can of
> worms, as much of what can be considered a <<problem>> in this context,
> is going to boil down to whether any particular type of sound is pleasing
> or not... good or bad... acceptable or not.... a subjective sumphole to
> suffocate in :)

I don't think this is fair.  When in doubt, make everything subjective or
relative?

I'm starting to lose hope, or maybe I'm just hungry.

David Skolnik