Soundboard stiffening

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:00:26 EST

In a message dated 2/1/2004 11:15:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
fordpiano@earthlink.net writes:
>At the risk of oversimplification, isn't a crowned soundboard just a big
>spring, the more you compress it, the more rigid it becomes?
>
>David Love
>davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

David,

This is the point that I was trying to make.  I believe that the
soundboard is essentially just a big spring.  A spring doesn't get
more rigid or stiff the more you compress it.  Within its working
range it has a constant spring rate or stiffness.  If a spring's
spring rate is 100 lb/in. then it takes 100 lbs to deflect it the
first inch.  It takes 100 additional lbs to deflect it another inch.
It doesn't matter if you start from a zero deflection point or an
initial 1 inch deflection point - the spring rate (or stiffness) is
still 100 lbs/in.  It's not getting stiffer because you're putting
load on it or deflecting it.  True, it takes twice as much load to
get twice as much deflection, but that is still a constant stiffness.
I would expect a soundboard to work the same way.  If the board is
actually getting stiffer as a result of applied load then it's not
acting like a spring or a beam, and I would like to understand what
mechanism is causing that to happen.

Phil Ford
  Phil
  If this is true then why can I measure a predictable amount of residual
bearing at the bridge after the board is string?
   I thinkthe boards compression rate is non linear. At least that's the wya
it behaves in my hands.
   DAle