Muting felt strips

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:38:40 -0600

I am having a tough time finding replacement muting felt strips (untapered)
for tuning.  My old strips are so compacted that they aren't muting anymore.
I called Schaff but they only have the tapered kind.  All I want are the
old-fashioned red wool strips.  Any ideas.  Thanks

Action cloth (sometimes called sticker cloth) comes in 1" widths from Schaff
and Pianotek.  I use the .139" cloth forthe bass and treble.  I use back
rail cloth about .145" for the middle octaves. A little tapering for the
upper octaves is helpful. You may need to experiment to get the thickness
you like best, but these strips will last a loooooooooonnnnnnnnnnng time.
Mine are 6 years old.  I'll be at the Nashville Convention and Institute if
you need further assistance.

Paul Chick, Sr.