SB Leaks & Dipole Effects -- Was Isolated Air-Movement

Lesher, Trent J. tlesher@sachnoff.com
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 12:46:34 -0600

Dale,
=20
You wrote: =20
=20
"...interesting to note that when...booming the board with the fist to =
hear its innate resonance & if your face or hand is near any of the nose =
bolt holes just how powerful a blast of air comes thru there!"
=20
That is an interesting observation.  I think a rush of air that comes =
from striking the board doesn't come from the periodic vibration of the =
board (which makes up the boom sound it makes when you strike it), but =
rather from the one-time relatively slow and high amplitude displacement =
caused by the initial strike itself.  Sort of like the way a ride-cymbal =
or a gong swings when you hit it, but the swinging is only incidental to =
the sound you hear, which come from much faster vibrations within the =
material.  I think the frequencies from the strings that we want to =
transmit would be more in the range of the board's self-vibration than =
in the relatively very slow movement of the initial displacement when =
you strike it.  That isn't to say there aren't similar losses at =
relevant frequencies, I just don't know if you could tell a whole lot =
about them by feel.  What you've witnessed would definitely be a loss as =
far as it goes.  Part friction, part acoustic short circuit. =20
=20
An analogy to the distinction as to whether the air coming through says =
anything about the acoustic effects of the hole at relevant frequencies =
could be made by making an experiment with a ported loudspeakers.  If =
you push the cone in with your hand, air will come out the port, and it =
comes out for all practical purposes perfectly in time to fill up the =
extra space in the room made by the cone going in, so there will be no =
pressure change, any any potential acoustic product that might occur by =
repeating this in and out movement is cancelled out.  That's one kind of =
acoustic loss.
=20
The other kind is friction loss.  In loudspeakers, a factor is =
considered "purely" lossy, or Q-reducing, when the output at any =
reasonable playing level is so disorganized or attenuated as to have =
negligible acoustical effect, destructive or constructive, compared to =
the energy dissipated as heat.  Compressions and rarefactions going =
through tiny pin-holes in an enclosure are such an example.  Their =
waveforms coming out the other side are very distorted in the amplitude =
domain and maybe in the time-domain also.  Basically these pin-holes =
have a current limiting function as well as an energy dissipating =
function, so the higher the amplitude, the more distorted the exiting =
waveform.  Somebody with a better scientific or engineering background =
can correct me if my terms are not correct.=20
=20
In the case of soundboard holes, I think conduction of coherent =
soundwaves at most frequencies and realistic amplitudes will probably =
almost always turn out to be substantial, or at least significant, =
compared to the friction losses.  (But that doesn't necessarily mean it =
will be substantial or significant at important frequencies compared to =
overall output of the instrument.) =20
=20
But then there's also the other, third component, which is the reactive =
one.  Reactive paths involve energy storage and time-delays. =20
=20
Going back to the loudspeaker, if we now whack it (or sharply tap it), =
instead of just pushing it, we'll get a similar puff of air, but if the =
speaker is relatively undamped (it might be hard to find one undamped =
enough, but it helps if one of the wires is disconnected) there will =
also somewhat of a drum sound that sometimes even has a recognizable =
pitch.  Imagine hitting the big gong that's suspended -- the gong swings =
an inch or a few, but the sound comes from the faster vibrations -- it's =
the quivering of the gong, not its slow swing back into plumb, that =
makes the sound.  The reason for referring to the ported loudspeaker is =
that at the quivering frequency, the air going in and out of the port =
will be delayed so that it is in almost perfect timing to add to the =
effect of the cone's movement.  When the cone goes out, the air goes =
out, so the acoustic output is reinforced by the "hole" at this point, =
even though the first puff of air that came out of the port -- =
corresponding to the swinging of the gong -- represented acoustic =
canceling.  This reversal, phase reversal, is because there is now a =
reactive path. =20
=20
Now if we excite the cone with a periodic source, say by coupling it to =
a string, there will be acoustic reinforcement from the hole/port until =
the frequency of the string used is so low that the port output simply =
follows the backwave of the cone in phase (non-reactively).  Now we =
don't know yet if at the relevant frequencies the holes act more like =
the port does at or above its tuning, or more like the way it does below =
its tuning, as from from a slow push.  We hope either more like the =
latter or like neither.  The reactive reinforcing behavior of the port =
in a speaker happens when the spring of air inside the cabinet aligns =
through the cross-sectional area of the opening with the mass of the air =
inside the tube, and we can get a pretty good idea how all this works by =
just taking a weight and suspending it from a rubber band. =20
=20
Use a weight that's heavy enough or a rubber band that's thin enough so =
the natural periodic bouncing motion is slow, so that it's easy to =
observe the timing of it relative to motions of your hand.  Hold the end =
of the rubber band and bob the weight up and down.  If you do it very =
slowly, the weight will go up and down with your hand.  As you increase =
the speed, you'll reach a frequency where the weight will be moving up =
and down opposite to the motion of your hand.  At this frequency, the =
resonant frequency of the band/weight system, it will take only very =
small motions of your hand to keep the weight bobbing quite a bit.  This =
corresponds to the tuning of a ported speaker, and represents the lower =
limit of substantial bass response (and just like your hand, the =
excursions of the cone are controlled by the opposing forces of =
reactance of the system, reducing distortion or preventing the speaker =
from mechanically bottoming out.)  Connecting to some other current =
discussions about soundboard stiffness and mass etc., there is now also =
a very high impedance relationship of the weight/spring to your hand, =
and energy is reflected back to your hand and thus dissipated very =
slowly.  If your hand was a string it would have long sustain at this =
frequency.  Now continue to move your hand up and down faster, and the =
motion of the weight will diminish, and will continue to diminish as you =
increase the frequency.  So at higher frequencies there is neither =
constructive nor destructive interference coming out of the port; the =
higher frequencies "see" the port as a sealed hole, and speaker behaves =
as it would in a sealed box in these frequencies.
=20
And if we re-did this whole experiment with the weight in thick oil to =
add substantial resistance to the system (or by adding big air-brakes =
made out of cardboard to the weight), we'd have some idea of the =
resistive or friction-loss component.  You'd see that resonant motion is =
attenuated -- but also that losses from destructive interference below =
resonance would be substantially reduced. =20
=20
So now we have a couple of common-sense analogies to all three =
components of the soundboard hole's behavior -- 1) acoustic short =
circuit; 2) friction losses; and 3) reactive (mass and/or spring). =20
=20
What I don't know how to do is to quantify these effects relative to =
overall acoustic output, because I don't know what physical context to =
put it in.  Even in the case of simple resistance, I think we still have =
to compare the amount of resistance to the pressure differential at the =
opening (analogous to voltage), or compare that path to the other =
available paths.  In the case of certain kinds of reactance, we'd have =
to know even more.
=20
I said in my earlier post that since there is no enclosed body of air =
between the vibrating membrane and the hole, there isn't any mass/spring =
system involved in soundboard holes.  Now I'm not so sure that the =
elasticity of air in propagating soundwaves might itself not make such =
an equation possible for analyzing the effect of the holes.  =
Intuitively, it seems like there would be a frequency where the mass of =
the air in the hole would substantially inhibit conducting =
air-vibrations through the hole.  (On the other hand, if, owing to the =
thinness of the board that frequency were so high that its wavelength =
was comparable to the hole size, you might as well forget about the =
reactive component and just look at the current capability, location and =
resistance of the hole -- both because the air won't act as "a" mass =
when the hole and wavelength sizes are similar, and also because we're =
talking about frequencies up around the second partial of C8, or higher =
depending on the actual hole.)  That might be modelable as an inductor, =
but to get any quantitative results from that you have to put it in =
context of system capacitance and/or resistance.  It's that system =
component -- in the soundwaves themselves or in the atmosphere (or in =
the pressure differentials, or the impedances of other available paths) =
or whatever, that I'm not grasping.  I don't think I ever dealt with =
anything like that.  (Well, of course I did, by living at all, but I'm =
saying consciously or explicitly, you know what I mean.)  So (Terry) my =
confidence that I could figure this out in my earlier reply to your post =
may have been premature.
=20
If it turns out these holes aren't so good, it seems like an =
acoustically sound answer to the problem could come quite cheaply and =
conveniently in the form of the usual suspension systems used for =
loudspeakers -- either a sealed version of the little accordion-like =
"spiders" attached to the voice-coil behind the cone (outer-edge =
attaches to the SB, inner edge to the nose-bolt), or something like a =
foam or rubber half-roll surround.  Maybe the stiffness could even be =
chosen to support desired impedance characteristics in the soundboard.
=20
I'll be interested to hear anything you notice from the experiment you =
proposed with your Steinway D.
=20
Trent Lesher

-----Original Message-----=20