lid construction

ANRPiano@aol.com ANRPiano@aol.com
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 19:56:43 EST

List,

Always willing to try something once, I am in the middle of making a lid for
an 8' grand from scatch.  The piano is ebony.  The core is poplar.  The
question regards vaneer.

I have seen many Eruopean pianos, (this is a Bechstein) with only a single
layer of vaneer, yet most American pianos have two cross banded.

Has any used the paper backed vaneer in a situation such as this?  Could that
be used as only on layer? Or should it be used in two layers? Or is it better
to just use regular, unbacked vaneer and cross band it?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Andrew Remillard
2417 Maple Ave
Donwers Grove, IL 60515
ANRPiano.com