lid construction

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:59:21 -0500

Don't know diddly about veneers, sorry. But I am very interested to hear =
how you laid up your core. Details, please! Any pictures?

I also need to make a lid.

If the piano is ebony, do you even need veneers?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: ANRPiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 7:56 PM
  Subject: lid construction

  List,

  Always willing to try something once, I am in the middle of making a =
lid for an 8' grand from scatch.  The piano is ebony.  The core is =
poplar.  The question regards vaneer.

  I have seen many Eruopean pianos, (this is a Bechstein) with only a =
single layer of vaneer, yet most American pianos have two cross banded.

  Has any used the paper backed vaneer in a situation such as this?  =
Could that be used as only on layer? Or should it be used in two layers? =
Or is it better to just use regular, unbacked vaneer and cross band it?

  Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

  Andrew Remillard=20
  2417 Maple Ave
  Donwers Grove, IL 60515
  ANRPiano.com