lid construction

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:18:51 -0600

  List,

  Always willing to try something once, I am in the middle of making a lid
for an 8' grand from scatch.  The piano is ebony.  The core is poplar.  The
question regards vaneer.

  Has any used the paper backed vaneer in a situation such as this?  Could
that be used as only on layer? Or should it be used in two layers? Or is it
better to just use regular, unbacked vaneer and cross band it?

  Andrew Remillard

  [Paul Chick (Earthlink)]
  I've done this on smaller than lid size pieces.  I, personally, would not
skip the cross banding.  Telegraphing can ruin it sooner or later.  Maple
crossbanding works well.  The paper backed veneer is thinner but quite
stable and FLAT,  making it much easier to work with.  Just curious: how do
you plan to "glue" the veneer to the core?  Do you have a press rigged up,
use contact cement, use a hot glue method, or use hot hide glue?

  Paul C