Automotive analogies

Tue, 03 Feb 2004 06:18:29 -0600

> > Hello List
> > It's a funny thing how often I find myself likening something to do with
> > pianos to something to do with cars. Why is this I wonder? At least it's
>not
> > Religion or Politics!
> > Regards from a darkening Sussex
> > Michael G (UK) T.G.I.F.

Oh, Michael,

This is too easy. Many and varied are the links/comparisons which can be made.

- Cars and pianos are in the same price ranges - both new and used

- There have been so many makes and models made over the years that making
a good decision concerning the purchase of a used or antique one requires
the inspection/assessment of same by a qualified mechanic/technician.

- Both are complex mechanical devices which give their owners great
pleasure when they are running right, great frustration if they are not and
require experts to service either correctly.

- most people have some basic idea of how a car works and have dealt with
maintenance issues. Making valid comparisons helps the customer relate to
the piano and it's maintenance.

- when a piano needs to have hammers replaced, it is easy to compare with
getting new ti(y)res.  When they want to put new hammers on a moribund
piano you can point out how long tires last on a car that won't start or
transmission is shot.

- action work is like a transmission adjustment or overhaul, depending on
the extent of work required.

- when the customer asks if it is worth rebuilding/refinishing their
Naugawurlie/Lindner/Winter, you can compare that to restoring a Yugo/Fiat
1100/Rambler. You surely could improve on the original a little, but it'll
never be a Packard/Jaguar/Bentley.

- I don't play the piano very well. When people ask how I can work on
pianos but not play well, I say that I'm like a race car mechanic. I may be
able to drive the thing around the track, but my job is to prepare the car
so that the driver can race it.  After the driver takes a lap or two and
comes back making this or that comment, I can tweak the beastie to do what
the driver needs (or say why something _can't_ be done ;-).

Etc., etc., etc....

Others on this list could surely add many similar similies.

Regards from the cornfields of Iowa, sleeping under a fresh blanket of snow.
Conrad Hoffsommer
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- Apprentice Curmudgeon