Correspondence tuning courses

jcschlaybach jcschlaybach@verizon.net
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 07:43:08 -0500

Barry:

As someone said, if you look in the archives you will find a range of =
opinions on correspondence courses and in particular about Randy =
Potter's course.=20

I started Randy's course about 1 year ago (you can get an extension =
which gives you 2 full years to complete it) after being laid off as an =
Electrical Engineer after 20 1/2 years. Initially I received pretty good =
feedback from Randy, and when I'd call Randy on the phone, he spend a =
bunch of time with me and patiently answer my questions (that aspect =
never changed).

However, in my view, one of the key parts of the course are his =
evaluations of your tuning tapes. This just did not take place in a =
timely manner! I believe my first tape took about 2 months to be =
returned, and I am still waiting for my 2nd tuning tape from last JULY =
(2003). I've sent multiple messages asking about it, and placed a note =
in my exams, which I've sent to him since then, and haven't heard a =
thing. I know he has a strict e-mail format and I've goof that up a few =
times, but not enough times to not hear back on this issue and a few =
other e-mail questions. My last correspondence with him was that getting =
him in the phone is a better method for communication. Well without a =
job I really couldn't afford to do that and being the stubborn Dutchman, =
just sort decided that if e-mail isn't working then forget it. (e-mail =
is mentioned in the course and on his web site as the preferred method =
of communication)

I've also gotten pretty busy with a new job recently, and I have let my =
studies slip so I do not blame Randy totally for this, but to be quite =
frank, money was very very tight last year without a job for 15 months. =
It was a stretch to come up with the first $900.00 (3 payments of =
$300.00) and I was very discouraged that his evaluation of my 2nd tape =
just never got back to me. That part of the course is so critical for =
those of us without a tuner/technician to work with and provide the =
needed feedback.

One other comment is that the video tape quality is very poor. I =
borrowed some of his course videos from a fellow technician that were =
made in the 80's (less material then the newer ones) and the quality of =
the video and sound was much much better. As an example, when Jim =
Coleman is trying teach how to listen for beats, the audio quality was =
so poor that it was hard to know what was sound track tape variations =
and what was the actual beating you were suppose to hear. The older tape =
did not have this problem - I thought it was me until I listen to them!

Finally, because money was so tight, I decided to purchase the course in =
shipments. The problem with this is that the video material is spread =
out and critical information is not given to you to go with the written =
material until shipments 4 & 5. So you end up having to skip or do =
certain exams with just the written material. I would not recommend =
buying it in shipments if you decide to take this course - get it all at =
once so you can have everything you need right up front.

Now I've said much in the way of negative comments - there are certainly =
many many positive things about the course and it is worth considering. =
I believe I've learn much from it and hope to continue this year. Time =
is making that tough right now.

I hope I haven't dampened your interest in learning to tune and repair =
pianos. I've found it to be a real sense of pride and joy taking an =
instrument that sounds very poor, and when I'm done in 2-3 hours (I'm =
slow), it sounds like a piano again (in my humble opinion). I'm glad I =
started down this path and hope to continue.

Joe - I live near Dave and Willis Snyder and have been a guest at the =
local PTG meetings which they attend and can imagine the face-to-face =
classes you took with Dave and others were very rewarding! They are =
great guys! (See I can say something positive.  : )

Jeff Schlaybach
- Robesonia, PA
  ----- Original Message -----=20