lid construction

ANRPiano@aol.com ANRPiano@aol.com
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 10:55:49 EST

In a message dated 2/3/2004 6:45:48 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:
And then there is MDF. But doesn't that sag over time? And boy, it sure is
heavy.

How did you get the whole core assembly flat?

MDF is not allow in my shop for anything other than an example of what not to
do.  Yes, it sags, look at all the computer desks built out of this stuff.

Flattening the core is my next step.  The pieces were originally thickness
planed, however, I will need to go over the entire assembly with a planer, and
will end up with a slightly thinner core than I had originally planed on, but
with 4 layers of veneer, it will still be adequately thick.

It is a big job. I just made my first real known screw up (as opposed to
those made yet at the moment unknown).  I tried to glue up too many pieces in the
final step, should have been patient and done this in two steps.  The pressure
required to close all the joints was too much for the end piece and it broke.
 Most of it was to be cut off anyway so maybe I will get lucky and it won't
matter.

Andrew Remillard
2417 Maple Ave
Downers Grove, IL 60515