Soundboard stiffening

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:33:25 -0800

Nor would it be mine. But that is not what we set out to design. We set out
to design a piano soundboard. It just happens (at least in one case) to act
like a non-linear spring.

> You say that the deflections were not linear.  Were they incrementally
> decreasing for unit increases in load?

As best as I can recall the amount of deflection was greater per increment
at the beginning of the loading. With each increase in weight the board went
flatter, but not by as much as with the previous increment. The biggest
change in the amount of deflection came at the beginning. Toward the end it
was pretty difficult to measure accurately.

On reflection I suspect this was because the initial load support came
entirely from compression within the soundboard panel while the ribs (though
lightly crowned they were also moderately bent as in a compression-crowned
soundboard system) were actually working to straighten the panel. Once the
ribs reached their neutral configuration they began helping the compressed
panel in supporting the load rather than fighting it, hence increasing the
spring rate of the system.

> I thought your
> position was that
> there is essentially no difference in behavior or performance
> between an RC
> and a CC board.
>
> Phil Ford

Not quite. It is my position that soundboard systems of both types can be
made to sound essentially the same. At least initially. Their behavior and
performance may well be different, especially as time goes by.

Del