Soundboard stiffening

Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:58:15 +0100

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>/On reflection I suspect this was because the initial load support came
>entirely from compression within the soundboard panel while the ribs (though
>lightly crowned they were also moderately bent as in a compression-crowned
>soundboard system) were actually working to straighten the panel. /

This part I've heard before... and still scratch my head about... tho
the useage of the word "support" may be the clue to my ponderments.

>/Once the
>ribs reached their neutral configuration they began helping the compressed
>panel in supporting the load rather than fighting it, hence increasing the
>spring rate of the system./

But this is not something I've heard before. In essence a declaration
that ribs do indeed (at some point) help in supporting the load.... in a
CC board. Tho why  should his support suddenly exist as soon as the ribs
are flat instead of being there all the time (perhaps countered by the
tendancies of the ribs to straighten to a lessening degree as said ribs
approach becomming straight).