Laminated Soundboard Panels

Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:02:30 -0000

Hello List and Terry F
Regarding these laminated panels - in fact laminated soundboards of any =
instrument - there is no doubt that they are not as good as the usual =
solid panel. To laminate incorporates a bonding between the laminations =
and this must surely have an effect on the resulting sound production. I =
know for sure that a 'cello with a laminated belly has nothing like the =
sound quality of the normal carved belly. I can only assume that the =
poor old sound waves aren't quite sure in which direction they are to go =
as they travel with the grain. They probably cancel each other out and =
that means poor quality output.=20
I must say I do go for the analogy between the piano soundboard and the =
'cello or Contra Bass so far as efficiency of sound production goes. =
Laminations have only one thing going for them IMHO and that is =
strength. We're not really looking for strength, per se, in the =
construction of soundboards, but for maximum sound output of the highest =
quality coupled with the strength to produce it. That's what =
Stradivarius achieved with his instruments and that must be the goal of =
anyone attempting that fickle art.
Regards from a sun-drenched beautiful day in a Sussex Downland village. =
OK? we got sun?
Michael G (UK)