Laminated Soundboard Panels

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 08:18:19 -0800

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Michael Gamble
  Sent: February 04, 2004 6:03 AM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Re: Laminated Soundboard Panels

  Hello List and Terry F
  Regarding these laminated panels - in fact laminated soundboards of any
instrument - there is no doubt that they are not as good as the usual solid
panel. To laminate incorporates a bonding between the laminations and this
must surely have an effect on the resulting sound production. I know for
sure that a 'cello with a laminated belly has nothing like the sound quality
of the normal carved belly. I can only assume that the poor old sound waves
aren't quite sure in which direction they are to go as they travel with the
grain. They probably cancel each other out and that means poor quality
output.

Actually, there is no doubt, given even the most basic research and
development, that pianos with properly designed laminated soundboard panels
will provide both better tone quality and better long-term stability and
product life. I can't speak for the use of laminates in cello's. But, then,
cello's are not pianos.

Del