Laminated Soundboard Panels

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 04 Feb 2004 11:24:58 -0600

>Also, why, in those cheap little spinets of yesteryear, did they use
>laminated panels on the soundboard? Isn't it more expensive to go through
>all the work of laminating up a panel compared to a solid panel? Maybe it
>is because they used old wood from industrial warehouse pallets in the panels?
>
>Terry Farrell

For a while now, I've dreamed of seeing how good sounding a piano I could
get using piano crate plywood for a soundboard. I expect the results could
be much more pleasing that most of us would believe possible - especially
after getting a look at all the shipping stencils on the soundboard. With
the choice being finding out, or eating, I've so far chosen to eat. Maybe
some day I'll get to try it. I'm about out of time though, as crate
material (when it's not cardboard) is getting worse and worse every year.

Ron N