Soundboard stiffening

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:19:26 -0800

Apparently you did not. I originally said that Baldwin used a combination of
light rib crown and light compression-crowning to achieve their final crown.
It exhibits some of the characteristics of each.

> It would seems to me that if  ribs
> did nothing to support crown until  they were flat.... indeed aid in the
> effort to flatten the panel... then incremental increase in panel
> stiffness for increase in downbearing would not be possible.. or what ?

Or what, indeed -- why must the world be either/or, neither/nor?

I don't know how gradual or abrupt the transition was. I wasn't testing for
that. These were just observations made along the way. Personally, I have no
trouble at all understanding why the transition region was incremental.

Del