ga-1

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 04 Feb 2004 17:40:31 -0600

>Kevin,
>
>I was surprised and disappointed that they built the GH-1, also!
>
>Avery
>
>At 07:30 AM 2/4/04, you wrote:
>>Yes, the GA-1E is Yamaha's new little price-point piano.  This is the one
>>that has plain wire going all the way down to B2, which in a piano that
>>size gives you some real problems tuning. B2 and the next few notes sound
>>like rubber bands, and it's frankly hard to find a good place to put
>>those notes. For that reason I usually recommend a Kawai grand if they're
>>looking for a piano that small. I'm surprised Yamaha designed and built
>>this piano, it's not like them.
>>Kevin.

After tuning a C1 for a dealer this morning, I looked over a GA1 in the
showroom. Where the GH1B had a B-2 speaking length of 977mm at 21% break,
the GA1 has a B-2 speaking length of 915mm at 18% break - #20 wire on both.
The C1 has a B-2 speaking length of 965mm, and three wrapped bichords in
the low tenor. It sounds much better down there than either the GH1B, or
GA1, but still not that good.

Length measurements are approximate.

I have no idea why any company would want their name on a piano that sounds
as bad as either of those G series things. With the bass/tenor break at
around F-3, both pianos would be much more tolerable.

Ron N