ga-1

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:23:13 -0700

Thanks for the measurements Ron... I'll keep this post if you don't =
mind...
Kevin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ron Nossaman=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 4:40 PM
  Subject: Re: ga-1

  >Kevin,
  >
  >I was surprised and disappointed that they built the GH-1, also!
  >
  >Avery
  >
  >At 07:30 AM 2/4/04, you wrote:
  >>Yes, the GA-1E is Yamaha's new little price-point piano.  This is =
the one=20
  >>that has plain wire going all the way down to B2, which in a piano =
that=20
  >>size gives you some real problems tuning. B2 and the next few notes =
sound=20
  >>like rubber bands, and it's frankly hard to find a good place to put =

  >>those notes. For that reason I usually recommend a Kawai grand if =
they're=20
  >>looking for a piano that small. I'm surprised Yamaha designed and =
built=20
  >>this piano, it's not like them.
  >>Kevin.

  After tuning a C1 for a dealer this morning, I looked over a GA1 in =
the=20
  showroom. Where the GH1B had a B-2 speaking length of 977mm at 21% =
break,=20
  the GA1 has a B-2 speaking length of 915mm at 18% break - #20 wire on =
both.=20
  The C1 has a B-2 speaking length of 965mm, and three wrapped bichords =
in=20
  the low tenor. It sounds much better down there than either the GH1B, =
or=20
  GA1, but still not that good.

  Length measurements are approximate.

  I have no idea why any company would want their name on a piano that =
sounds=20
  as bad as either of those G series things. With the bass/tenor break =
at=20
  around F-3, both pianos would be much more tolerable.

  Ron N