ga-1

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 00:01:58 EST

kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net writes:

> Yes, the GA-1E is Yamaha's new little price-point piano.  This is the one
> that has plain wire going all the way down to B2, which in a piano that size
> gives you some real problems tuning. B2 and the next few notes sound like
> rubber bands, and it's frankly hard to find a good place to put those notes. For
> that reason I usually recommend a Kawai grand if they're looking for a piano
> that small. I'm surprised Yamaha designed and built this piano, it's not like
> them.
> Kevin.

Kevin, Terry, Avery, etc.,

I just tuned one last week.  You are right about the plain wire being
difficult to tune at the bass break.

This piano had other problems as well, though they are not related to the
scale design.  It is housed in a VERY humid room.  I don't know why it's so
humid, but my hands felt clammy as soon as I started working...nerves, maybe.

All of the keys needed easing, and most of the hammers were an inch +/- off
the rebound cushion.  I could sense that the customer was not into spending
alot of money, so I eased the keys and pro-teked the pins, which made it
playable.  I figured I'd set the hammer line, but was shocked when I got the hammers
to what seemed within spec, that let-off and drop disappeared.  Aftertouch was
gone.  I moved the hammers back up in the air, and things worked.  Given that
I was short on time and the customer seemed kind of frugal, I evened out the
hammers, tuned it, and left it alone.

When I explained to the customer what I'd done, she kind of glazed over and
wondered why I charged her a small amount extra for the extra work(about an
hour extra of my time).  Fortunately, her son came in, played it, and smiled,
saying, "it works!"

I don't have the specs in front of me, but 1/8" is pretty standard space
between the shank and the cushion.  Is the GA1 any different??  I suspect that
swelling from humidity has caused big problems, but I'm not sure where.  Any
ideas?

Dave Stahl