Laminated Soundboards

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 22:02:47 -0800

Paul C said: "There's hundreds of them in
this area, many do not handle the wide temp/humidity swings and go out of
tune faster than "better" laminated boards or solid spruce boards. (Opinions
herein based on field observations, no scientific data.)"

Paul,
I have many in my data base, as well. The cheaply made PSOs like Kimble
Spinets, are as you say. However, I was referring to other brands such as
Kohler & Campbell, etc. My records show very good stability, even after
years of neglect. Also a few studios of Asian descent, that have laminated
boards; these too, have very good stability. This is what I was basing my
comments on. Also, do you think that someone like Ron Overs or Del Fandrich
would consider such construction to be a plus, if they didn't have good
reasons therein? To take a line from Search For The Red October: "...They
don't take a dump without a plan!"<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police