Laminated Soundboard Panels

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 06:33:30 -0500

I suspect much of these marketing considerations and how the piano =
buying public perceives them is directly related to the =
out-of-sight-out-of-mind phenomena. Folks can't see the wonderful ABS =
action components - the salesperson can simply report a great =
performing, technologically advanced action - cool, that's easy to =
swallow. But the soundboard panel can be seen by the shoppers - even =
though they can't see that it is laminated (but they can SEE the panel - =
it is REAL), they will hear it from "the other" brand's salesperson =
("are you aware that brand "K" sneaks those cheap laminated panels into =
their pianos - you know, like the ones used in 1970s Winter spinets - =
our pianos have a solid spruce soundboard like the concert grand pianos =
preferred by all the concert artists around the world & bla, bla, =
bla...").=20

I suspect that any mass-producer of pianos will have an uphill battle =
successfully marketing a laminated soundboard. However, the small =
quantity manufacturer (or remanufacturer) I suspect can develop a niche =
that those few open & performance-minded piano buyers will want to =
explore. I don't know what small quantity might be - one to ten pianos =
per year, definitely yes - 200,000 per year, definitely no.

I do know that the few remanufacturing jobs I have secured are based =
solely on personal trust - even though I have explained thoroughly the =
redesign work these pianos will be getting, I am well aware that the =
clients basically have zero clue as to what I am talking about. I am not =
using laminated panels at this point, but I have no doubt that with =
these clients use of a laminated panel would be readily accepted. Their =
remanufacturing decisions are based 100% on their trust in me and zero =
on any piano-design-related technical matter.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20