Soundboard stiffening

Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:25:02 +0100

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>  Ric B wrote:
>
>>>  You guys do !  And quite frequently. Ok...in the context of rib
>>>  supporting crown. But forgive me... I am a bit foggy on how it is that ribs
>>>  that in that context do nothing but resist crown and offer no support against
>>>  downbearing, can at the same time not only make the panel stiffer (which makes
>>>  it harder to press down.. hmmmm ) and not only that but makes the system
>>>  increasingly stiffer (even harder to press down) as more downbearing is
>>>  applied.
>>>

>>>  I am just sure I am crossing Z's with Ø's here... but these two
>>>  positions seem a bit contridictorary to me.
>>>

> So, let's see. We're not only supposed to figure out how to explain a
> principle in words you can't possibly dissect and render
> other, unintended meanings to but we're also supposed to figure out
> how to do this in a way you can't possibly take out of context and
> render other, unintended meanings to. OK. I think I've got it. Of
> course, you realize that does limit both the ability and the desire to
> communicate with you.

No no no....   plain english will do fine.  I fail to understand your
irritation. I simply asked a question... which you havn't answered but
instead respond to with the above.  I didnt say there was two opposing
positions... I said precisely that  I was sure it was me who was
confused... but that I saw an apparent contradiction, and asked for a
clarification.  So much for the "there are no stupid questions" bit.

> No. there are not two positions. There is one unified theory of
> operation and it contains no contradictions. The whole system works
> together.  Think of it as having more than one thing going on
> simultaneously.

Well... as so many times before.... a question you apparently dont like
just gets the ridicule treatment and the average querier is left no more
the brighter for the asking.  I see two apparently contradictory
declarations about ribs in different contexts. Sorry that bothers you.
But  a rib that in one context does not offer any support against
downbearing cannot turn around and suddenly offer support just because
the context changes. Either the ribs offer some support (in some usual
sense of the word) against downbearing or they dont. You've said time
and time again they dont.  Now you say that ribs in a compression
soundboard increase stiffness in the board and do so in the face of
increased downbearing.  Since increasing stiffness is rather synonymous
with  providing support in the face of downbearing ... it seems
reasonable enough to me to raise the ol confused finger in the air and
ask a question.

> No one talks about "the panel trying to straighten out the ribs" because it doesn't work that way. Have you ever handled an edge-glued spruce panel? Sure you have. Just how much straightening is that thing going to do?
>
>     What I see is two pieces of wood that are forced into a curved
>     condition against their better judgement... and both... would
>     return to being flat if they had their ditthers about it.  Why
>     would the rib be pulling on the panel to straighten it out, and
>     not the other way around in equal amounts?
>
> Oh, think about it!  Because the rib, longitudinally, is quite stiff
> and resists being bent with some vigor. And the soundboard panel,
> cross-grain, is quite flexible and bend readily So readily, in fact,
> you have to handle it gently until those nice, stiff ribs get glued on.

Fine.... at least there was a straight answer mixed in here. Makes
perfect sense.  See how easy that was ??  Coulda been even easier had
you said when the initial question was posed.. simply    "because the
rib, longitudinally, is quite stiff and resists being bent with some
vigor. And the soundboard panel, cross-grain, is quite flexible and
bend(s) readily"  ... and  left the  rest out.

> Del

Gawd... you get so agressive.... I'd worry about your blood pressure :)

Sorry I asked...

RicB