[Files] Odd tuning system (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Robin Stevens mmrr6596@bigpond.net.au
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:35:04 +1030 (Cen. Australia Daylight Time)

Has anyone had any experience tuning a grand with a tuning system as
per the
attached photos. It is a Brinsmead of about 1880 vintage.

The key supplied in the piano is used for tuning, and on trying a
couple of
pins I was amazed how easy the small tool turned the pin. I would say
it had
the same resistance and feel as a guitar machine head.

I have to tune this piano in a couple of months after fitting a
Dampp-Chaser
system.

It is about 20 cents flat, and  replacing broken strings might be a
problem.

Why was this system not continued with. Was it cost, or just the plain
fact
it was not efficient?

Maybe some of the English tuners might has a answer.

Regards

Robin Stevens

[Photos at:]

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/files/attachments/e9/bb/31/d0/