[Files] Odd tuning system (Modified by Kent Swafford)

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Fri, 06 Feb 2004 10:18:08 -0700

At 01:35 PM 2/6/2004 +1030, Robin wrote:

>Has anyone had any experience tuning a grand with a tuning system as
>per the
>attached photos. It is a Brinsmead of about 1880 vintage.

I've tuned a Brinsmeade upright of that vintage with the same tuning
system. It was a "tropicalized" straight-strung overdamper and was
beautiful to tune as well as being beautifully built.

Changing strings was also quite easily done compared with the Mason Screw
Stringers, though we didn't change many as the original strings appeared to
be gold-plated and most were still good. The strings friction-fit in the
pins rather than being tied.

>Why was this system not continued with. Was it cost, or just the plain
>fact
>it was not efficient?

I would say cost, myself. It was certainly efficient enough.

                 John