Hamburg B Key Inertia

David C. Stanwood Stanwood@tiac.net
Fri, 06 Feb 2004 08:56:28 -0500

Stéphane,

Key leads aren't the only thing that give a feeling of resistance so if the
hammer weight is not too light compared to the action ratio then there will
still be a feeling of inertia.  If the inertia of the key leads does not
relate to the mass of the hammer (uneven leading) then the pianist will get
a false sense of how the inertia, or force of resistance to movement,
relates to the hammer movement.  Therefore just having high keystick
inertia won't necessarily mean more control but the pianist may feel more
comfortable anyway.  Lots of variables including psychological ones!  In
this case it may be that the factory overdid it on the pre leading and had
to back lead to get the down weight on spec...

David Stanwood