Hamburg B Key Inertia

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 02:02:26 +1100

>Recently I saw a Hamburg B (1970s) on which the keys had been front
>weighted and back weighted on the last few notes before the
>bass/tenor break.  Say notes 16 or 17-20.  It looks as if they were
>trying to increase the inertia on the last few keys before the
>break.  Any ideas about why they would do this?
>
>Phil Ford

No Phil I haven't. But I've seen the same oddity on Samick grands. In
the case of the Samicks their actions are manufactured with wippen
assist springs. A possible explanation for the Samicks might be that
the key board was first weighted with a generic distribution of
weights, but the assist springs were heavily loaded (as they often
are on new wippens which haven't been set up) so as to result in a
very light touch weight. A shoddy approach to increasing the touch
weight to a 'normal' specification after the event might be to add
more weights into the back of the key.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY