Hamburg B Key Inertia

Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:14:07 +0100

Stéphane Collin wrote:

>... but isn't it so that action with too low key inertia causes for the
>pianist problems to control his playing ? Isn't some inertia desirable, as
>it integers smoothly all the unequalities of the pianist's fingers ?  As
>long as apparent weight at fast playing is reasonable, and repetition good
>enough, I would think that the more inertia, the better control (kind of :
>"you want that effect, so you have to move your fingers accordingly" rather
>than "hey, I didnt want that effect" occuring with too low key inertia
>actions).
>
>Or do I miss something again ?

I  agree with what you say above Stephane... tho not everyone would. Its
just that it was not my first thought that Steinway Hamburg would go
about problem solving in this way. And as far as I know.. the only
directly related action inertia concerns they have taken were along the
lines of the accelerated action. Otherwise... looking at Hamburgs, along
with virtually every other piano, one is left lacking any real evidence
that there has been a consistant and purposefull plan with regard to
keyleading and key inertia. Most everything looks like the primary
concern has been to get some static downweight spec met... and as
quickly and as easily as possible.

Feild techs and independant rebuilders seem to be far more into this
kind of thing then factories.

I aggree tho... too little key inertia is noticed. I do not buy into the
<<as little lead as possible>> school, thinking rather there is probably
some optimal amount of key intertia depending on things like hammer
weight, overall action standard ratio, and the degree of action
compliance in any given piano.

Cheers
RicB