Dealer work--the upside

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:22:31 EST

List,

I tend to whine alot about doing work for dealers:  their lack of desire
to do anything but toon the piano and get it out there, the low pay for store
work, etc., etc.

The bottom line is, though, that I am truly grateful for the work they gave
me at a very difficult time, and that they are still giving me at a time when
many techs in the area are complaining of slow business because of Silicon
Valley's economic situation.

Many of the pianos I service in homes for warranty tunings have never been
touched , i.e. not even having the packing blocks removed from front and bottom
panels.   Certainly, it would be ideal to have properly prepped
pianos to work on from the get-go, but this is an opportunity to know the ins and
outs of each new piano from the time it is delivered for as long as the
customer continues to use me.

On my third and fourth go-round on many of these instruments, it is quite
rewarding to see the settling process they go through, as well as the seasonal
changes they endure.  A little extra on each service call--a small amount
of voicing, regulating, lubricating, or key easing--and I have a devoted
customer, and they have a "well-oiled machine."

Feeling good on a sunny day in CA,

Dave Stahl