Robertson and other screw slots

Mark Kinsler kinsler33@hotmail.com
Fri, 06 Feb 2004 13:59:19 -0500

I first encountered Robertson or square-drive screws when I was in the
stereo repair business.  I fixed big console stereos, and a few of these
were Canadian.  Xcelite, the electronic tool outfit, manufactured a
Robertson driver set, and I happened to have bought one of these for a very
deep discount some time earlier.  Nobody at the store knew quite what it
was.  This was around 1974.

These screws were also used a good bit in mobile-home construction in the
US, and perhaps they are at present.  They've been available as big deck
(outdoor construction) screws for the last few years.

Reviews for the Robertson wood screws have been mixed.  I thought they'd be
utterly foolproof, but a friend who does extensive remodelling work said
that, when used with a power screwdriver, the driver bit invariably slips
out and damages the screwhead.  I didn't believe this until I tried it
myself, and that's exactly what happened.  I don't quite know why this
happens--possibly poor manufacturing tolerances.  The driver fit firmly into
the screw head, though.

I'm sure that Robertsons would make fine adjusting screws. Though in
industrial work, recessed hex or Torx have become standard.

As for slotted screws, there's a combination slotted and phillips head that
seems rather popular.  They're not particularly fun to use with a slotted
driver, but they should be fairly easy to adjust without much downward
force.

I'm aware of the aesthetics.  Phillips screws look horrible.  Hamilton Watch
once marketed an 'authentic' marine chronometer.  Beautiful case, and I
think an authentic chronometer movement.  But the brightly-polished brass
case screws were phillips!  Nobody knew any better.

M Kinsler
512 E Mulberry St. Lancaster, Ohio USA 43130 740-687-6368
http://home.earthlink.net/~mkinsler1