Screw Drive Types (was Re: Slotted Wood Screws)

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:42:16 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

>Point of Interest . .
>
>"Square' screws were invented in Canada in the early 1900's by Peter
>Robertson, and for patent reasons was not available anywhere else until
>recently.
>( http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/Ontario/robertson_screws.htm )
>
>It seems there are few to be found in the USA, yet they are a superior item
>to the Phillips, and the new Torx ( god forbid . .  a piano with Torx )

In what way are they superior?  What's wrong with TORX?

I have an article comparing torque that can be developed on fasteners with
various drive types using power drivers.  Interestingly, the Phillips is
about the same as the square drive.  The TORX can develop almost twice as
much as either one.  And the TORX PLUS slightly more.  (Also interesting to
me is that the internal hex drive develops less than half the torque of
the Phillips or square drives).

I can post scans of the article if anyone is interested.

>Good old Henry Ford pretty well shut them out of the market . . .according
>to the article.
>
>It would warm the cockles of the canadian contingent to have them referred
>to by their 'proper' name . . .
>Thanks
>
>Jim Kinnear

The article makes it sound to me like he shut himself out of the market by
not giving Ford an exclusive distribution license because he thought he could do
better.  Never bet against a Ford.

Phil Ford