Soundboard stiffening-thanks Ron-N ( Here's that response I promised. )

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:41:05 -0600

>Ron,
>     Your "response" as it were, avoided answering the
>basic question that I posed: that a board constrained
>by the rim glue joint will have the forces you
>observed re-directed outwardly.

Gordon,
My answer is no, for the reasons described in the discussion I referenced.
Reading the discussion that has already appeared on list should explain it.
This is an easy thing to test empirically with a simple model that is a
more realistic representation of a piano soundboard assembly than the Mason
& Hamlin and Yamaha sales demo. Try it and see for yourself. If you feel or
believe that gluing the soundboard to the rim will somehow reverse the
forces involved, you are quite welcome to your belief. If you are convinced
that I am mistaken or untruthful in what I have reported, you are also
quite welcome to that belief, and won't be the first to hold it. Should you
care to actually investigate the question first hand by building the model
and running the test, you can reconcile the difference between your belief
and what you see in front of you in any manner you see fit. You have my
blessing.

Ron N