Wuritzer console

Allan Gilreath agilreath@mindspring.com
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 00:07:10 -0500

Mark,

If the tuning pins hold in the pinblock when you tune then that probably
isn't the cause of the tuning instability.  Look more at the
environmental changes in the facility.  It may take a while to educate
the facility's manager that turning off the heat and cranking it up to
warm the place as fast as possible has a detrimental effect on the
tuning.  With the weather changes we've been having around here, the
finest tuning from several months ago isn't worth much now, no matter
who did it if the micro-climate hasn't been maintained. So in short, be
sure to diagnose that you have a pinblock problem before applying
anything.

As to the "thumping" unison, look for interference from the bass-most
treble damper, separated bridge cap, or something else, like a mute,
stuck in the strings.  Also be sure that they're original and not
inadequate replacements.  The best watch word is to be sure to diagnose
the problem before you start fixing it.  If you don't know the cause of
the issue, exploratory surgery can be really risky.

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Allan Gilreath & Associates, Inc.
515 Oothcalooga St., Suite I
Calhoun, GA 30701
agilreath@mindspring.com

Once you figure out the right questions to ask, the asnwers are pretty
simple.