Fw: Odd tuning system

Sat, 7 Feb 2004 21:36:04 -0000

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Michael Gamble=20
To: Robin Stevens=20
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2004 8:56 PM
Subject: Re: Odd tuning system

Hello List and Robin
Apologies, Robin - a slip of the proverbial whotsit. You commented:"I =
would assume that the top of the pin comes off to fit the =
string...somehow???" That brass cap, if I remember rightly, merely =
captivates the bent-over end of the string against the outside edge of =
that strange, hollow, tuning-pin core to which it is attached. You must =
carefully remove that cap by prising it off. Do take some piccies for =
the list as you do this. Then you'll be on your own from there for I =
simply cannot remember why there were difficulties is cutting off the =
string at the right place in order that it conform to its fellows when =
tensioned up to pitch. I am pretty sure this piano is strung =
"individually" - not "paired" and you will have to allow also for the =
amount of pull-up from the new hitch-pin loop. This loop is - if I =
remember a-right - the Broadwood Double Hitch Loop. That is, the string =
is wound around the hitch pin twice before being wound closely around =
itself for three turns. Before cutting off, the "tail" must be slightly =
angled toward the loop and a tail of about 1/4" left so it has no =
inclination to "unravel".
Experiment and have a good time! Don't forget the oiling can! For this =
is a light engineering job!
Regards from
Michael G (UK) (full moon and a few scudding clouds in a moderate wind =
tonight...)