pinblocks and materials

Mark Kinsler kinsler33@hotmail.com
Sun, 08 Feb 2004 00:09:52 -0500

Since my training is in electric power, I understand the conservatism in
piano manufacturing and maintenance.  The history of, say, plastics in piano
building seems to have been one of unmitigated disaster.

I'm fascinated with how well the wooden action parts function.  There's
really no better material for these.  And the felt/polished-steel bearing
surfaces in the action are equally interesting to a fan of mechanisms and
materials.  No lubricant needed, a bit of flexibility added to the works,
nothing much to maintain.  Marvelous.

But I really wonder if the pinblock couldn't use some better engineering.
The traditional laminated pinblocks are marvels of craftsmanship, but my
reading of Reblitz' text makes it sound like they're an eternal cause of
grief.  Have other schemes been tried?  I'm thinking of a brass block with
tapered steel pins held tight by nuts underneath the block.  Or a cast-iron
pinblock with brass bushings and the tapered pins.  I'm sure that this has
been thought of many times.  What were the problems?  Were there ever plates
that had an integrated iron pinblock cast into them?

Mr Bullock's analysis of the failure of felt also led me to wonder if
synthetic felts have ever been used for hammers or bearings.  I believe that
there are nylon and dacron felts.  There's no great guarantee that these
would be vastly more stable over sixty years or so than traditional wool
felts, but perhaps they have been tried.

M Kinsler