pinblocks and materials

Allan Gilreath agilreath@mindspring.com
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 00:51:49 -0500

Mark,

There have been a number of systems patented over the years and a few
actually put into production to eliminate the wooden pinblock.  You
might want to go to www.ptg.org and then follow the link to the US
patent office. There are some great designs by Conklin as well as
others.

Allan

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Allan Gilreath & Associates, Inc.
515 Oothcalooga St., Suite I
Calhoun, GA 30701
agilreath@mindspring.com

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Mark Kinsler
Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2004 12:10 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: pinblocks and materials

Since my training is in electric power, I understand the conservatism in

piano manufacturing and maintenance.  The history of, say, plastics in
piano
building seems to have been one of unmitigated disaster.

I'm fascinated with how well the wooden action parts function.  There's
really no better material for these.  And the felt/polished-steel
bearing
surfaces in the action are equally interesting to a fan of mechanisms
and
materials.  No lubricant needed, a bit of flexibility added to the
works,
nothing much to maintain.  Marvelous.

But I really wonder if the pinblock couldn't use some better
engineering.
The traditional laminated pinblocks are marvels of craftsmanship, but my

reading of Reblitz' text makes it sound like they're an eternal cause of

grief.  Have other schemes been tried?  I'm thinking of a brass block
with
tapered steel pins held tight by nuts underneath the block.  Or a
cast-iron
pinblock with brass bushings and the tapered pins.  I'm sure that this
has
been thought of many times.  What were the problems?  Were there ever
plates
that had an integrated iron pinblock cast into them?

Mr Bullock's analysis of the failure of felt also led me to wonder if
synthetic felts have ever been used for hammers or bearings.  I believe
that
there are nylon and dacron felts.  There's no great guarantee that these

would be vastly more stable over sixty years or so than traditional wool

felts, but perhaps they have been tried.

M Kinsler