pinblocks and materials

MKurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 08:01:29 -0500

    Hi Mark:
    Your observations from a different point of view are interesting and
you're right, alternative pinblock systems have been used before.  I can
think of two.  1.  A number of years ago Wurlitzer made a small grand with
steel tuning pins that featured a split at the lower end into which a wedge
was inserted.  No wood at all was used, just the cast iron plate.    The
pins were devilishly hard to turn, but they certainly never loosened.
    2.  The Wegman piano (made in our town in years past)  featured smooth,
stubby tuning pins placed in a slightly oval hole in the plate, again
without any wood used.  String tension pulled the pin into the oval creating
friction which held tightly but allowed tuning.  These also were not subject
to the pin looseness over the years.  There are an abundance of these pianos
in this area, and all I've seen still have nice, smooth,  even and snug
tension on the pins.  They are a little fussy when changing strings, but
other than that, seem like a good idea.
    The Wurlitzer method didn't seem to last long in production for whatever
reason, and the Wegman idea died along with the company many years ago.
    Mike Kurta
    Auburn, NY