Double drilling pinblocks: Hand held versus drill press.

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 11:40:28 -0800

David, I've drilled a block or three free hand, but not double drilled.
Before I built my pinblock drilling machine, I did turn an upright on it's
back, fill the pin holes with epotec epoxy and then drill the holes by hand.
The drill size was enough to use oversize pins (Don't remember the sizes
involved).  I considered it successful, but no amount of ingenuity and
foresight on my part has resulted in perfect torque no matter what procedure
I've tried.

My gut feeling is that double drilling by hand would be iffy and I wouldn't
think accuracy would be improved.  I'd speculate that making the first drill
no more than maybe 2/3 the final diameter would give the second drill a
better chance of alignment by hand.  That would then eliminate the heating
effect.  The drill I used had a bubble to hold the drill perpendicular.  I
think that helps.

I recall asking Willis Snyder many years ago if double drill pinblocks was a
good idea.  He said
"That works with metal but not wood."  I wish I'd asked him why.

Sometimes I'm surprised at how well pin block torque works in spite of all
the variables.  Rather than getting obsessed with a few looser than I'd
like,  I give them the ole ca (crazy glue) treatment.  It's only guaranteed
for life anyway.  That's my life of course.

Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.