Double drilling pinblocks: Hand held versus drill press.

Sun, 08 Feb 2004 17:29:34 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> Try it and let us know. .....But don't do it on my piano!!!
>
> I would most certainly be surprised if you had good even torque. Use
> the drill press.
>
> Terry Farrell
>

> > I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing.  I'm refering to
> pinblock
> > drilling in two passes.  If your final bit size is to be .261", then you
> > predrill at .250" and on a second pass, drill the remaining .011".
> On the
> > second pass, because so little material is taken, you don't have to
> worry
> > about feed speed and the drill heating up.  My question is whether that
> > allows you to drill with a hand held and still be accurate without
> > enlarging the hole.
> >
> > David Love
> > davidlovepianos@earthlink.net <mailto:davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>

I've done maybe 15 blocks through the years with hand held drills doing
a two pass drilling. Lots of techs do this both with pin blocks and with
bridge pins. Works just fine. No problems with torque in pinblocks
whatsover. Main difficulty seems to
be that of  getting consistant angles.  You need to practice a bit, and
a round bubble level affixed on the drill so that the bubble shows level
when you are on angle helps... probably other cute ideas to help.

Cheers
RicB