pinblocks and materials

D.L.Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 20:18:51 -0600

I know of two pinblock replacements.

There was the Mason Hamlin screw stringers.  They wrapped the string around
a hook of a J shaped screw and then pulled the J up by way of a nut that was
adjustable by a tuning wrench that was kept with the piano.  It was VERY
stable, but after the years the brass that the pieces were made of
crystallized as did the combs that separated the J-bolts and kept them in
place.  After the more than 100 years since that system was discontinued you
need new ones made to restring them.  I have three of these pianos but have
not gotten around to restringing them yet.  Anyone know of a source for new
screw stringer bolts, nuts, and combs?  I need to know.

There was also the Wurlitzer system.  I have a console from the thirties
that looks normal, but you take off a board behind the "pinblock" to find
there is no pinblock.  The tuning pins go through the cast iron and the
normally threaded end is split.  There is a brass wedge driven into the
split.  This piano had a couple of loose tuning pins, and I found I could
not remove the pin.  I opened the back to find the odd arrangement.  I drove
the brass wedges in on those pins and voila! they were tight again.  It
works really well.  I don't know why more pianos were not made using this
system.

D.L. Bullock  St. Louis
www.thepianoworld.com <http://www.thepianoworld.com>