pinblocks and materials

Mon, 09 Feb 2004 19:40:49 -0000

Hello List and D.L. Bullock
You said: "There was also the Wurlitzer system.  I have a console from the
thirties
that looks normal, but you take off a board behind the "pinblock" to find
there is no pinblock.  The tuning pins go through the cast iron and the
normally threaded end is split.  There is a brass wedge driven into the
split.  This piano had a couple of loose tuning pins, and I found I could
not remove the pin.  I opened the back to find the odd arrangement.  I drove
the brass wedges in on those pins and voila! they were tight again.  It
works really well.  I don't know why more pianos were not made using this
system."
John Brinsmead also used the bifurcated pins in their grands - but the pin
blocks were normal wood ones. Works a treat doesn't it?
Michael G (UK)