Wuritzer console

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Mon, 09 Feb 2004 08:16:30 -0700

M Kinsler,
Seeing it is not worth re-pinning you could try a veterinarian's fine
needle syringe and thin CA glue on the pins.  That has worked well for me
on a cheap piano that would spin the hammer back as soon as I let go of
it.  I've used the other stuff too and it was not effective.  When I say
"well," that means that it got me out the door with the piano in tune.  The
jury is still out with respect to long term holding capability.  At least I
haven't been back yet (expect to shortly) and I haven't heard definitive
comments here regarding follow-up.
Regarding thumping, does the hammer bubble any? are the dampers regulated
properly? how do both terminations look? is there any discoloration of the
strings?
Some times taking the strings off and wrapping them around a coke/beer
bottle (glass type) will make a world of difference.  I've seen suggestions
for washing in alcohol or acetone.  Generally this is due to some foreign
substance (like coke/beer) trickling down the string and then collecting
dust.
Oh, and I have encountered wound strings that were in tune one octave below
their neighbors; that aural tuner must have been in a hurry! ;-)

Andrew Anderson,
Las Cruces, NM