Imadegawa hammers

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:46:24 -0800

<I haven't held any hammers made with either rock maple or hornbeam cores in
high regard.>
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
>    Grand Piano Manufacturers>

I was not aware that either Hornbeam, mahogany or other wood moulding would
have any significant or appreciable effect on tone; conversely, the quality,
density and shape of the hammer FELT is the main determiner of tone quality,
as far as hammers are concerned.  Of course, I may be totally wrong on this
point, and if so I'm ready and wearing ye-old flame suit!

PS: If the Imadegawa type E hammers, with MAHOGANY cores are indeed
preferred (by some, namely Ron O.) over the hornbeam ABEL, then I might as
well get the former, and save money, right? But I suspect even the Hornbeam
Abel hammer will have a tone much more suited to this old American Upright.

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: Overs Pianos <sec@overspianos.com.au>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Imadegawa hammers
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 07:26:12 +1100

><.....before changing over to Abel in 1996. But I never used the hornbeam
>stuff.
>OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
>    Grand Piano Manufacturers>
>

>So if it's a choice between Abel HORNBEAM or Imadegawa MAHOGANY core, you'd
>prefer the latter?
>
>Terry Peterson

Terry,

>From the results we were having with Imadagawas (which were special orders
with tail length, width and hammer felt all specified) I'd probably go for
the Mahogany (or Walnut) core Imadagawas if the only Abel option was
Hornbeam. Fortunately it isn't a choice I have to make. I haven't held any
hammers made with either rock maple or hornbeam cores in high regard.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers

Web http://overspianos.com.au
mailto:info@overspianos.com.au

Click here for a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee.