Flange Bushing Cloth

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:29:15 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Benny L. Tucker" <precisionpiano@alltel.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 5:33 PM
Subject: Flange Bushing Cloth

> List,
>     I took on one of those jobs that I didn't really want, to re-pin the
> butt flanges on an old upright action. While most bushings presented no
> problem, a few pushed out while removing the old pins. I've never
re-bushed
> flanges before, so out with the Reblitz and Schaff catalog. Got my
supplies,
> and following Reblitz's directions, I could not get the cloth to meet in
the
> hole. Once, twice, three, four or more times I could not get this bushing
> cloth to lay in the hole gapless. So I got to measuring and calculating
and
> here's what I came up with.
> Flange Bushing drill = 7/64ths diameter. This calculates out to a hole
that
> would be 11/32nds in circumference.
> Flange Bushing cloth advertised as 17/64th's. That's 5/64th's less than
> needed already. The actual cloth I got out of a dozen strips was 8 strips
of
> 7/32nds and 4 strips was 1/4 inch wide.
> Now, am I missing something here? Am I using the wrong size drill to ream
> the old bushings out? Is there a suitable alternative to "flange bushing
> cloth", other than buying a whole yard of it and cutting myself. It would
> take me forever to use a yard of the stuff, not to mention the price it
> fairly steep just to have some on hand when the need arises.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Benny L. Tucker
> Precision Piano Tuning & Repair
> Thomaston, Ga.

> The drill for center pin bushings that APSCO, Schaff, and probably also
John Ford and Tuner's Supply sold 25 years ago (haven't bought one since
then) was 3/32", and even that is sometimes a bit large for the bushing
cloth they sell (typical).  5/64" is probably too small.  If 3/32" is too
big, try a numbered drill somewhere in the #42 to #47 range.  Buy bushing
cloth in wide sheets and rip your own slightly wider widths.
    You'd think all this stuff would be standardized by now.  One drill.
One width of cloth.
    --David Nereson, RPT