Verituner

Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:52:58 -0000

Hello all
Stephane said: "What I found most interesting in Verituner is that it lets
YOU decide what
is a good tuning.  If you are not 100% satisfied with the tuning (style) the
device achieved, you can put in your own parameters to make the tuning match
your delicate ear.  Interactive keeps a man awake."
I say: If you rely on an external device your tuning ear will eventually
fall into a state of disuetude and suddenly you won't be able to tune
without a device at all. This is why I only use the CTS-5 to "help" lay the
bearings in just one 8ve. Then I turn it off and finish the job by ear. I
have yet to have a call-back on my tunings.
Tell you what though, in some pianos the 10ths. taken between the metals and
the covered strings are not at the same beat-rate fall (when going down the
scale) as the metal-to-metal 10ths. Isn't that an oddity? It's usually the
smaller pianos where this happens - yet the 8ves are good and I wouldn't
change them to conform to the falling 10ths. Does that make sense? Example:
when I have finished laying the bearing 8ve to my satisfaction I always
slowly play the M3s all the way through the bearings - in both directions -
in order to listen to the gradual change in beat-rate. If there are any
discrepancies this is where it shows up and this is when they are corrected.
For it is on this "bearings", properly set, that the entire piano tuning -
and my un-tarnished record - stands or falls. Wrong is Wrong and Right is
Right and Wrong is No Man's Right. That's the Maxim I work to. Always. :-)
Regards from darkest night in a Sussex Downland Village.
Michael G (UK)